Cookies and this website

This website uses cookies to give you the best online experience. If you'd like to know more please read our cookie policy

Skip to content

Who can use the service

Who can use the service?

Anyone who has been accepted onto Rotherham’s Housing Register is able to use the service. To apply to join the Housing Register you must be over 16 years of age.
You will need to complete  a Housing Register application form.
The application form enables you to apply for a Council or Housing Association rented home.
For details on how to contact us and our opening hours click How to Contact Us or click application or transfer form to download a form.

Along with your application form you will be asked to provide the following documents which are relevent to you:

  • proof of identity for everyone to be rehoused (eg, passport, birth certificate, driving licence.);
  • proof of income (1 months full bank statement, pay slips, benefit award letters);
  • proof of current address (eg, recent gas or electricity bill);
  • proof and details of your address history for the past 5 years;
  • proof of your local connection to Rotherham (proof of address of relatives for past 3 years, proof of employment):
  • proof of bank account (it will be mandatory to pay your rent by Direct Debit);
  • proof of pregnancy including MAT B1 form;
  • proof of  child benefit;
  • proof of overnight access to children;
  • evidence of your right to reside in the UK if you are not a British Citizen. This could be your passport and other relevant documents from the Home Office;
  • if you are currently renting, please provide an up to date rent payment statement from your landlord.

Before you are offered a property we will re check your documents and may ask you to provide further information to support your application. 

All documents provided must be originals, up to date and valid. For a full list of acceptable documents contact the Housing Advice Team.

If you do not provide us with the documents required your application will not be accepted onto the housing register . Once the documents are received your application will be assessed and placed in the appropriate band from the date the documents were received. 

Who cannot use the service?

You cannot use this service if you have not completed an application form and been accepted onto the housing register.

  • There are also some people who will not by law be eligible to join the housing register. These are:
  • Certain people who are subject to Immigration Control under the 1996 Asylum and Immigration Act
  • Certain people from abroad who are not subject to immigration control but who are not habitually resident in the UK, the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man or the Republic of Ireland
  • People (including members of their household) who have been guilty of unacceptable behaviour that makes them unsuitable to be a tenant.

For more detailed information contact our Housing Advice Team.